12 ideas for new and meaningful rituals for your family
Perhaps you recently began a family of your own and are looking to create extraordinary memories. Or maybe you’re already established, but want to start your own traditions. Either way, you don’t have to wait for the holiday season or new year to come up with your own family rituals. While this task might seem daunting, keep in mind they don’t have to be expensive or over the top. Kids don’t remember how much money you spent on them, but they do recall the quality time you had together.
Keep reading for some ideas to jumpstart your family fun for traditions they will remember for a lifetime.
Why create family rituals? Consistent practices established in a family unit create a connection that is important for family bonding. Rituals can also aid in transitional moments when a child might feel a lack of security. For example, it might be sad to see dad leave for a work meeting or mom leave for a business trip, but with your special goodbye song, the child feels loved, seen, and remembered.
Rituals can be as frequent as you’d like them to be. If a daily ritual sounds intimidating, start with weekly or even monthly. Here are some suggestions for some family rituals you can begin today!
Daily Ritual Ideas
Incorporate these into your daily schedule. Try using Hearth’s habit builder to ensure they become a part of your family’s lifestyle!
- Sing a special wake up song every morning
- Establish certain a goodbye high five or handshake
- Share pits and cherries (highs and lows) around the dinner table
- Roll a die to decide bath time toys, pajamas, and stories before bedtime
Weekly Ritual Ideas
These are typically reserved for weekends as more time abounds, but don’t let that stop you. Make pancakes on a Monday? Sign us up!
- Visit a family member on Friday nights (maybe even leave the kids there and make a date night out of it!)
- Make waffles every Saturday morning
- Enjoy a weekly TV show together
- Stroll around the neighborhood or a local park on Sunday evenings
Monthly Ritual Ideas
Perhaps every other week works well too. These are ideas that are probably too much for a weekly basis, but still good to incorporate when you are able.
- Host a family game night
- Go out to dinner and let a different person pick each time (If this isn’t in the budget, you can practice this ritual by letting them pick a meal to make at home)
- Build a fort and watch a movie together from the fortress
- Grant a “me” day where a different person creates the schedule for the day
We hope these ideas fuel your family brainstorming session. Remember, the best rituals are the ones you can start now! They don't have to cost a lot of money, or even take a lot of time. Simple moments that demonstrate how much you care for your family become meaningful memories everyone remembers and values.
Want to create more memorable moments with your family? Check out some of our other posts on similar topics:
Make Reading Part of your Bedtime Routine
Family Habits to Raise Empowered Children
Fun Activities for Kids At Home
Use Your Family Calendar to Create Space for Memorable Moments